As many of you know I don’t usually follow a recipe to a “T” and so true to my nature I co-created my own curried chickpea dish using this lovely recipe as my inspiration.
This is the MyCo Remixed version of the recipe found above.
- 1 oz tomato sauce (spicy)
- 1- 3 oz of water (this will evaporate as the beans are cooking) OMIT if using canned beans
- 3 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 red onion, diced
- 5 cloves of garlic, diced
- Himalayan sea salt to taste
- 2 – 3 tsp smoked sea salt
- About 1 1/3 cups coconut milk
- 2 1/2 tsp powdered Irish sea moss
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 1/2 tbs curry powder
- 1 1/4 cups presoaked chickpeas
- 1 cup fresh callaloo
- dash of powdered lemongrass
- Presoak chickpeas for 8 – 24 hours prior.
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the coconut oil until golden brown and season generously with salt and pepper, then set aside.
- In a blender tomato sauce, onion and garlic, coconut milk, Irish sea moss, curry powder, smoked sea salt and smoked paprika until well combined. If needed, season some more with salt and/or pepper.
- I blended up some dried lemongrass for tea prior and didn’t clean out the lemongrass powder because I wanted it to be added to the mix 😉
- Transfer to an oven safe pan/pot, add chickpeas and cook covered on medium-high heat for 90 minutes.
- Place in preheated oven and bake in the oven at 390°F for about 30 minutes. Make sure to stir occasionally and add little more water if it get’s too thick.
- After being in the oven for 15 minutes add callaloo and cook until chickpeas are fork tender.
NOTE: If you are using canned chickpeas you will only need to cook them for about 30 minutes in the oven and you can add your callaloo or spinach at any point.
- Served with brown rice though I planned to use quinoa but apparently, we gobbled that all up and I didn’t even remember 🙂
I’d also like to try this with roti, quinoa, wild rice and coco bread. It was YUMMALICIOUS!
If you are in the process of transitioning to a healthier eating style but are stuck, like chuck and needs so tips check out MyCo’s Kitchen Adventures recipe book, it is filled with delicious meals just like this one, plus I share lots of ways for you to remix them and create your own personalized versions!