Do you know how easy it is to make your own milk from almonds, cashews, walnuts or any other nut you want? It’s extremely easy and all you need are a few ingredients. Be creative and your own flavors or better yet allow your children to make their own flavors. Fun and easy for the whole family. This recipe is a guide but feel free to modify it to your taste, for example if you want more double or triple the recipe, if you want more of a nutty flavor add more nuts, if you want a milder nut flavor add more water.
Cheese cloth – Can substitute, clean panty hose, fine mesh strainer, coffee filters
Pure water 12oz
2 cups of raw nuts (recommended if using raw almonds, pre-soak them for 24 hours prior to making and take the skins off by squeezing the almond the skin will pop right off)
2 tsp Organic vanilla extract (not vanilla flavor) – OPTIONAL
3-4 tbsp Sweetener (Organic cane sugar, honey, agave, dates)
If you want to flavor your milk add organic fresh fruit like strawberries, blue berries, bananas or even some raw cocoa 🙂
- Add water and nuts of choice to blender and blend on HI until the water starts to look milky.
- Check the consistency, all the nuts should be ground up very finely if not turn back on and blend for a few more minutes.
- If you are going to use dates to sweeten or flavors you will want to add them now and blend for another 1-2 minutes, until finely blended.
- Now you will place your cheese cloth (or other strainer) over you storage container and pour in the contents of your blender. Squeeze your cheese cloth to extract every bit of milk (but not too hard or you may get chunks of nuts and/or fruit pulp in your container).
- Finally add your vanilla and/or liquid sweetener or cane sugar and stir, shake (if you have a tight lid). I recommend you place strained milk back into the blender (once you’ve rinsed it) if you going to sweeten with cane sugar or use cocoa.
Now give it a taste and adjust to your liking.
*Tip you can use the contents of your cheese cloth in breads, cookies, cakes etc. Freeze if your not going to use it immediately.